October 12, 2012

Countdown - 19 days! The Iris



Back in the day, flowers had a certain symbolism.  The forget-me-not is obviously a plea to be remembered.    Roses mean love & passion, however a yellow rose can show jealousy and infidelity.  Sunflowers that in nature follow the sun across the sky, mean infatuation or foolish passion.  Poppies for remembrance.

The Iris however is associated with death.  Iris was the Greek Goddess of the Rainbow and she used that rainbow to transport women's souls to the underworld and also to carry messages to earth from the Gods.


source 1
source 2
source 3

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that about Iris's. I love them!!! I was thinking about you recently, I have't said anything on my blog yet but Next week I am flying up to Salem to spend the weekend with some Witches ~ super excited. I love October!!!! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like fun! I sure hope you take pics - I'd love to go there, especially this time of year.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!!