February 03, 2015

Christian Memorial Gardens

Christian Memorial Gardens is a fairly new cemetery - established in 1963.  It's located not far from me, in Rochester Hills, MI.  I'm pretty familiar with this cemetery since my dad, uncle, cousin and some close old friends of my parents are all buried there. 

There are very few above-ground stones - most are flush to the ground. Several buildings of file cabinets (I guess they're technically niches but I don't know how to pronounce that!!), a few above-ground crypts and mausoleums.   And some very cool artwork scattered about.

Since I visit there often. some photos my look winter-ish (taken March 2008) and others summer-ish (taken September 2014)
These eagles are as you go in the main drive. 
Love this herd of horses. 
Close up of the lead horse - clearly an Arabian. 
A life-sized bronc.  Because nothing screams "Michigan" like a cowboy & bronc.  
Close up of the bronc's head. 
This Pegasus & lions are along the road.  
Close up of Pegasus
Close up of lion
   This little area is shielded from the road.  
The shrubbery is cut to just above the height of the art. 
I didn't see any writing on this, or notice any stones around, 
but I would guess this is near Babyland. 
 A very pretty & unique take on the Nativity. 
This is a fountain that I should have gone to see first thing - 
by the time I got around to it, they'd turned it off for the night. 
These people look like they're underwater, but they're not mer-people.  
This horse is slightly larger than life-sized.  
You don't know how tempted I am to go jump onto its back sometime!
Hi, Dad!
We always wave when we drive by, since we can see his niche from the road. 
People hang windchimes in the trees. 
 There was a circular path like the one above that had 
the 4 saints standing on crypts, each facing outward. 
  
This was the only occupied crypt. 
The Veteran's section.  
Not sure why all the flagpoles with the military branches are leaning in, 
but it looks pretty cool. 
 I had a lot of company when I visited in September.   

Several HUGE ravens. 
Lots of geese. 
And these pretty babies!  
 It looked like a doe, her yearling and her fawn.   They liked to graze on the flowers. 
The yearling was most flighty and the fawn stayed near mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!!