February 04, 2012

Cemeteries x 6

Recently on a Saturday I will wake up & feel the need to do something or go someplace.  Today I woke up thinking about this tiny little cemetery north of town.  So once I dropped Angel off at dance, I made the rounds of several small ones in the area, camera in hand.

Sterling Grove - a whole bunch of German names and epitaphs.



Mother / Father



Ada, daughter of R&A Bahlmann

Right next to Sterling Grove was this little Russian Orthodox cemetery.  It was locked so I couldn't get any closer than this.  It's weird that all the stones were facing away from the road.  6 very neat, tidy rows of stones.





Next was a 2 for 1 visit!  


Prestonville is considered a "lost village" of Shelby.  2 families settled here in 1826 and the land was eventually absorbed into Shelby Township.

There was no division inside the cemetery itself - but there were the 2 signs & different fences across the front!  I was pretty entertained.  I didn't realize this until I noticed this sign from behind and went to look at it.


 I didn't know at the time this was original settler!


 Love the unusual shape & coloring on this!









 I'd never seen a special plaque like this for police before.  Very cool!


 I may have nightmares!

 These 2 were way off by themselves. 







 I love the quote!

 The carving at the top reminded me of a cow with its tongue out.  
Probably not what its supposed to be!

This is the one I was thinking about when I woke up.  I still don't know why.  Other than a lot of vandalism - it really wasn't extraordinary.
According to the same link as the Prestonville Cemetery, it says there are veterans from the Mexican and Civil Wars buried here.


 The colors of the marble are beautiful!

btw - that is my car in the background.
If you can't see it, I have to assume you're one of the idiots who has cut me off before.
Everyone else - Hi!










I still had some time to kill before getting the girl from dance, so I stopped in the Utica Cemetery again.  There's more HERE that I did for the Countdown to Halloween.  Somehow I missed a couple that stand out now.

 This is just one person's grave.  The wife apparently is still alive.  
My theory is that A). she is now a crazy cat lady or 
B). he hated clutter & she did this because he can't do a darn thing about it.

 This is different set from above - but in the same row! 
Utica Cemetery apparently has no restrictions on the amount of flotsam you can put around a stone. 
There really is a stone in there!





 I love that 3 branches are listed!


 Those colors caught my attention as I was driving in.

 If the one I commented on above doesn't bring nightmares - this one will!

Mother Julia / Mother Pearl
Father Zigmond / Father Frank
I guess they were all close!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!!