May 17, 2015

Thornville Cemetery

Thornville Cemetery is located between Dryden & Metamora in Lapeer County, Michigan.  As you can see, there's no easy vehicle entrance to the cemetery but there is a set of stone stairs next to the mailbox.  Who gets mail there??  Odd.  Anyway, my sister had joined me for some exploring, so we parked on a dirt road about 1/4 mile away and walked back.  

I see I need to enter some of these onto Find A Grave, since I went to look up info on some of the stones I took pics of and they don't have memorials.   I'm slacking, since I usually do this right away.   Don't worry.  I shall enter them. 






Interesting to see a boy named Pearl. 
We may have giggled at this name, but it was a common sight in Thornville. 
I was being watched! 




This one intrigues me.  They're all kids, the oldest 15.  7 of the 8 have the last name Ferrier.  Most passed away in the 1920s.  This will be put in Find a Grave shortly.  





Most of the older stones had elaborate carvings that were interesting to look at. 

3 comments:

  1. I noticed that several of these stones had birds carved on them. It's always interesting to learn about the symbolism of grave makers. I think you'll be interested in this if you haven't seen it before:

    Death and Gravestone Symbol Chart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link! There are lots of things I haven't seen before. I have a book that I keep forgetting to take with me called Translating Tombstones. It's pretty useful, too.

      Delete
  2. I love visiting old cemeteries--they are rich in history

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!!